Skip to main content

Pinterest Fail #1 - Wine Bottle Painting

I mentioned in my last post that I was working on another Independence Day decoration. I still haven't completely finished it, but I'm close enough. The idea with this project is to paint wine bottles (or sparkling grape juice bottles in my case), to resemble the American flag.

Pinterest Idea:
Of course, I couldn't find a blog or website that actually told me how they made this; so I took it into my own hands. I already had the bottles and was feeling confident that painting them wasn't going to be an issue. 


I don't have a picture of the bottle before painting, but I'm just going to assume you have seen a glass bottle. Okay, moving on. While I was at my dad's house this weekend I grabbed some wooden dowels (pictured above), this made painting the bottles fairly easy; you get better coverage and you don't have to be careful where you set it while it's drying. Speaking of the paint, I used regular white spray paint that I got from Menards (Painter's Touch, Ultra Cover, Paint+Primer). At the time I had only planned to paint two bottles white, because the other one would be painted blue (which I was doing with acrylic paint). I grabbed two dowels from dads expecting to paint two bottles at the same time. Unfortunately, my dowel was to long and skinny to support my bottle and it all fell to the ground the first time. Then, I put the second dowel next to it and used both dowels for one bottle. It's a little flimsy, but it worked so whatever. 


Step 1: Collect supplies: Bottles, Spray Paint, Acrylic Paint, Painters tape, Wood dowels.
Step 2: Spray paint the bottles.
Step 3: Use painters tape to create the stripes for where to paint it red.
Step 4: Paint in between the painters tape with red acrylic paint. 
            - And this looks terrible


Step 5: Decide that you really really don't like the way this is looking and try a different approach.
Step 6: Instead of brushing on the red paint, use a sponge brush to dab the paint on. 
            -Oh yes, this is much more promising


Step 7: Let it dry. I only did one bottle at a time because I had not idea what was going to happen. 
Step 8: Take the painters tape off and hope for the best. (You can see from the pictures that I decided to paint the bottom of the bottle, that I had originally left white)


Well I pulled the paint off; and didn't have a good result. 


Overall, I liked the way it was looking. Obviously I didn't like the white paint missing, and red paint in spots it shouldn't. So I tried again. 


Honestly I did't do much different on the second bottle, but it looks ten times better. I chose not to put any stripes up the neck of the bottle because it was to hard to get straight. I also pushed the tape on better. Since I didn't like the look of the acrylic paint I decided to spray paint the third bottle white also. I have blue vinyl for my cricut that I'm going to cut stars out to put on the last bottle. I post an update when I get it done.

Optional: Jazz it up a little with foil sprays or ribbons. Like these sprays from Amazon.


Advice #1 - The lighter color your bottle the better. Dark green sparking grape juice bottles were harder to get a good cover on.
Advice #2 - Have a good thick dowel to support your bottle before painting. 
Advice #3 - Make sure your painters tape is on securely.
Advice #4 - Be absolutely positive and careful that there is not paint on your hands while handling the white bottles. Yes, I have a faint red finger print on my first bottle. Do I like it? No. Is it a personal touch? Yes.
Advice #5 - Use a bottle with a shorter neck if you are wanting more stripes. 

If you try this project or something similar or have advice for me please feel free to comment or react to my post. I would love to hear from you. 



Comments